Tuesday, February 03, 2004

This past weekend was the perfect balance between busyness and pure lazyness! :) It was awesome. There have been two highlights:
1. seeing massive changes in our dear friend Sean in only a couple weeks. I think part of me may have forgotten how unpredictably God can transform our hearts.
2. getting to have meaningful, if not uncomfortable talks with my sweet roomies. Michelle and Sarah both have shown me that they care enough to brave the awkwardness of dealing with hard questions and fumbling efforts to make things right. They had to live with me last semester in all my depressed--running around--coping mechnism crapola. And they still give me the benefit of the doubt to approach me in a new way this semester and let me just start right over. We all need that chance sometimes huh? Not just once, but many, many times. I wouldn't call that so much forgiveness as just actively choosing to think the best of someone you love, even if they give you no real reasons to do so. And then just waiting that person out.

I so much enjoyed Traveling Mercies when I read it in Florence (currently one of the first 'must-reads' I would suggest to anyone), that the day I finished my last novel, I went to Ardmore library and picked up another book by Anne Lamott. Recommended a while ago by a Miss Jonelle Flood, my second read for her is Bird by Bird. It's a book about writing. I am immensely enjoying it because she writes so that anyone can glean lessons from her lessons. I learn about life from what she says about writing. And what's more, when I was a kid, maybe up to fifteen or sixteen, I used to sit down at my computer and just write stories. I liked them. I wrote poems in a notebook also and I have kept a journal for a while, but I really enjoyed writing just plain stories. No one has ever told me I'm good at that except a few teachers and my sister, but Anne Lamott inspired me to sit down at my computer and write out the details of a couple early memories and it felt good. It feels good to sort through that kind of stuff inside your head and give it more voice.

but now I am tired. Today I was so exhausted I fell asleep sitting up in the Heritage 3rd Floor Lounge. Dr. Mr. Van Leeuwen (sp?) came in and told me I better kick my shoes off, sprawl on the couch and do it right. HA. Leave it to the Theology professor to validate my poor tired bodily needs. So i did. I napped for over an hour, but I am still ready to go to bed. more later.

(sary doerrer I love you. i miss your voice. Call me soon. We'll get a hang of that 13 hour time difference in no time!)

No comments: