It has been a while since I have done a real update, but I have some stuff I could potentially share. There are some things in my life that I am finally sort of requiring self-discretion on. Meaning really, not that I won't write it here. Just that some thoughts and events are probably better talked about with the sorts of friends who call me (hinthint) :).
ANYWAY...
this past weekend I went to a gorgeous place called Rolling Ridge for a retreat with the interns. It was much needed. We are already burnt out. And to get away from the city (and only drive an hour and a half--how surprising that WV is that close!), was exactly what was needed to remind us of how small our crazy jobs really are and how big God really is.
(Side note about my job that I was getting away from this weekend: I have been working to place the ad all over the U.S. It's in like 30 colleges--all 4 of the schools hosting THE debates and in a bunch of papers in all kinds of crazy states, mostly swing states and including WV and AK--the two states that recieved that awful mailing from Bush about Democrats banning the Bible. I feel really good about what we're doing and saying to the world about what Jesus really might be all about.)
Back to the non-work talk (and tell me if you're tired of hearing about it so you can...go read somewhere else!):
Rolling Ridge has this lodge type of retreat housing with a fireplace and a deck and they also had a "meditation shelter" which was basically a chapel and it had a labyrinth that the owners made because of the labyrinth's spiritual significance. So we all walked that and that was meaningful. Then there was also an Art Cottage so I went and drew a couple pictures which I forgot was so carthartic (sp?). So I took some really great walks and had good reading time and the group really bonded as well. We were already getting pretty tight pretty fast, but we had a wonderful talk about what it means to live simply and what sort of mission our group really has for this year. And then at the end, I know this sounds cheesy, but we wrote alove letter to the group telling them what we had to give them and how great we think they are, etcetc. It was so touching. It helped me remember that among different personalities and even cliques at times, there is still a spirit of desire to love God with all one's might and be in this group this year.
In other news, I had such a good conversation with Michelle Nater on Sunday. She is someone who is so easygoing about life, it is just crazy. She is such a good example for me that way. Hmmmmm....what else?
Oh! I took pictures for my cousin Marianne's wedding. What a nerve-wracking experience. I thought I was going to lose batteries of my digital camera and I did! But with a bit of time to spare. I ended up having my other camera and my parents raced to go buy film. They are looking really good, and it felt SO good to just do that. Marianne thanked me and everyone encouraged me that I seemed professional even when I didn't feel it at all. I would do it again in a heartbeat and am blessed to be able to give that gift to her because this marriage is truly a beautiful thing. This new family of hers has turned her life around and I was a small part of their big day.
Also I am now 22 years old. Still young compared to the rest of you because we're all aging each day but it seems a bit older to me. I like it. I like getting past college age. I am the baby in my friend group and I am also the baby in my new house. However, my birthday was great! My family and I went to Cirque de Soleil where I literally screamed out loud, it was so intense. The acrobats and costumes and lights and very high stunts. It was awesome. Then I was kind of nervous to return to the intern house because I had gotten to be in my most familiar restful surroundings all weekend and all this new stuff takes a lot out of me. But my housemates had baked me cupcakes, painted me a picture AND had a dance party for me when I got back. How perfect. It was so fun.
So I rang in my 22nd year of life with much life and much laughter and even a couple thrills.
Love to all.
P.S. I LOVE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS AND THIS UPDATE THING CAN BE PRETTY DEMOTIVATING. SO I PROPOSE THAT YOU ASK ANY AND ALL QUESTIONS YOU HAVE AND I WILL DISCUSS ON HERE PROBABLY MORE OFTEN. OK?
No comments:
Post a Comment