So about that last post (and I know earlier I said I was up for posting my testimony, but that might just have to be a Reading Week project).....
those same feelings continue right now. Although today was actually a good day in that physically I felt much more energetic and mentally more positive and hopeful, as people seem to know me to be more often than not. BUT
- this first midterm here at Princeton on Friday in Church History is psyching me out
- I wish I could do all the reading but I know I can't
- As much as I like Bent Spoon, I often think it'd be so much easier if I didn't have to have a part-time job THEN I remember
- my sweet boyfriend is having all kinds of money worries and I should be so lucky to be in the situation I am in
- today is still an exception among many many days of all around uncontrollable exhaustion
- I am in a small group with some of the brightest, deepest girls on campus but I felt so incredibly claustrophobic tonight when they posited making it two hours instead of one. One more big block on my Outlook calendar feels like the last straw right now to me.
- I feel like a hypocrite in many areas. I demand constant sensitivity from others (receive it 90% of the time) and do not offer it very often anymore, it seems. I have big goals for things in this school like a group doing interracial dialogue, but I still get mad intimidated to sit down with my black friends in the cafeteria when they are at a table where I'll be the only white person. etcetcetc.
- I am being a really unfaithful friend in terms of keeping in touch.
- I want to make better use of my gifts of encouragement here like Geila does with little notes and anonymous gifts and stuff, but again...feels like there isn't time.
- I was reading Artists Way with my sister but had to give it up with her urging because it should be a blessing not just another thing.
- I feel unhealthy and I am trying but not as much as last year when I had more time and home cookin. I feel like I am regaining weight, feeling sluggish, looking gross.
SO if you're still with me after that long list of my anxieties, all that is to say, everything I COULD do feels really important and as is my perpetual problem, I just don't know what to cut out. Perhaps blogging? :)....
I don't know. Last night and tonight I freaked out a bit and cried and whined to Liam and Marcie and Sary because I just worry that if I can't handle seminary, I can't handle what comes after...my supposed calling. It feels terrible to think that but I can't get it out of my head. Liam says that struggling through seminary, especially the first couple months, does not prove that I won't be a great minister. And part of me believes him and the other part can't stop comparing to other people who really seem to be doing great.
We really do have these recurring battles in ourselves. I KNOW my mom has told me since I was 10 years old to let go of comparisons. I just feel like I can't. Maybe that's what I need to say more often every day while I'm here.
I can't do it all.
I can't do it on my own.
I am inadequate with my own strength.
My weaknesses overwhelm me.
I need grace because all the little things feel so big.
2 comments:
Jessie Lee! I'm so, so sorry that you're feeling stressed and panicky. But Liam gave you the right feedback -- the first semester of seminary does not a minister make. Have a little confidence in yourself, my sweet girl! So many others do! Eventually, you'll learn from your struggles, improve your approach to daily life, and recognize that the difficult days of self-doubt are fleeting. And as your Mom, I must repeat: Don't compare yourself so much to everyone else! You're JESSIE and that's what we all love about you. Don't try and be something you're not. Take your own path even though there are some sacrifices and things to give up along the way. Look to the future as the ultimate goal. Where do you want your head to be in 3 years? Exercise your head and heart so you're taking small steps to get there every day. Okay, enough advice from the parental unit. I love you soooo much, my Jessie Lee!
Hey Jess-
I have a thought as well. I've been out of college, and any school environment, for some time now. And I've been in the same consistent ministry position that whole time. And I have to say that one helpful mentality you may want to adopt is that you are just in SCHOOL. I know seminary has all kinds of "calling" weight to it and all that...but ultimately all you are doing is preparing yourself to succeed in whatever job you take on in the future.
Therefore, school is just one part of that preparation. Your grade on a midterm or whatever REALLY DOESN'T matter. It really doesn't. It is just how much you love your "flock" that ultimately matters.
ALSO, because I've been out of school for a while, I offer another thought...this is school...it is a defined amount of time in your life. Maybe for the next three years you shift some priorities around to meet the deadlines...but that doesn't mean you've become a different person. ANY friend you have that matters will understand that when maybe they haven't heard from you in a while. If someone is pissed at you because you didn't send them an anonymous gift or write them a letter...screw them!
You are in a good and stressful environment, and you are a passionate follower of Christ. Give yourself the freedom to believe that you actually ARE living in God's will...even if you have to stop reading this book or updating this website. The eternal perspective is calling your name!
Post a Comment