Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Pentecost means speaking in the language of the community around

This is the event I got to attend yesterday.

Sojourners where I used to work put it on and got an amazing line-up of speakers: Obama, Edwards and Clinton spoke about "Faith, Values and Poverty". I thought some of the questions were a little obnoxious and beside the point, but it was really cool to hear them talk about something that so much of the public considers to be a personal matter and get held accountable on how their faith will relate to their efforts of social justice.

Overall, I felt the conference was a little lackluster. All of these kinds of events seem to focus on general revving up of the attendees for the issue, but I am already on board. I want to know what I can do as a student, and one day as a pastor or mother, and as a voter and as a resident of this or that state. I always just long for action steps and specifics and I feel like these conferences present a lot of mission statements, bumper stickers and networking opportunities. One workshop with Rev. Sam Rodriguez gave me a few things to think about regarding immigrants and the church, a major interest of mine right now working at Hope Pres.

All that to say, I did def enjoy myself and saw a few folks from Eastern who just graduated who were great to spend some time with.

Now I am spending some time in Jersey. I love my girlfriends. Namely this weekend, Erin, Abby, Khristi and Ashlee. I am very lucky to have so many people who make me laugh and make me think so thoroughly. I love that I can just jump right back into real conversations with them.

Life feels so full right now. SO full of mostly good things. I am trying to figure out the kind of social life I want to have this summer, mostly by trial and error. But I am having fun doing it. That is all I am really interested in this summer. I am really spent on wondering where I stand with people. I want to not even worry about that for a while. (As Sarah says, "30 is the new 21") I want to have fun and learn new things. I want to read and drink nice wine and eat nice meals and watch silly movies and go to new places. And that is happening so I can't complain.

No comments: