Sunday, June 21, 2009

first blog in five months

I was in a job that was heavy on the reflection and so I did not feel like doing as much of it here. But that job, my CPE residency, is over now. As of June 1st, I am the Re-Entry Specialist at Ujima Urban Women Center in Trenton NJ. I was hired by one of my closest friends from seminary who is a truly inspiring leader.

My job is going to be working with all female ex-prisoners and their families through a program called FORGE (Female Offender Re-Entry Group Effort). I am having to learn about social work, which I did not study in college. Although they sound similar, Sociology and Social Work are actually nothing alike. I am way out of my element, steeped in bureaucracy and making 50 calls for every productive 1. But it is coming along slowly but surely. I like my clients and their referring parole/probation officers. I feel passionately about making second chances happen for these women. I am just not certain I will be able to make it happen. I have a feeling that there will be more failures than successes, but the effort is faithfulness to something I believe in.

I have been training with my mom for the Breast Cancer 3 Day 60 mile walk. I am confident we can do it, but it is going to stretch us physically probably more than anything else ever has. But, much like this new job, there are harder things. Also walking this walk are women actually battling cancer AS they walk! People are amazing sometimes. Amazing jerks AND amazing inspirations. Both/and. I am no exception.

Other tidbits:
1. I have the flu. In summertime. The only year I got a flu shot. Yeah that sucked. But it is progressing back towards normal. Aches and fever gone.
2. Jason is wonderful. We are growing. I am going down to NC/VA to meet a bunch of his family I have not yet met, including his beloved father.
3. I finished teaching that first college course (Majority-Minority Relations), and was asked to teach it again this year. It was a lot of work, but a huge learning experience.
4. I am moving at the end of July into a shared house in Princeton. It's only a tiny bit strange because I am moving into my ex's old room. But the house is large and gorgeous and in a town that makes me feel safe and pleasant.

Lots of transitions. I am gonna try to keep you updated more often than every 3-5 five months. Maybe even tomorrow!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Jessie Lee! What a pleasant surprise to find a post on your blog! Hope this finds you and Jason feeling better and ready for vacation. Enjoy! Huggage...