Wednesday, June 16, 2004

It is not like I have nothing to say, I just don't know what you, faithful readers, might want to know about. Today I 'did' a very high profile shoot at a meeting of the Institute for Corporate Ethics with a bunch of powerful CEOS talking about better business practices. AKA: I carried the camera bag and tried not to sweat and/or care about the fact that I dont fit in in an environment like that one and never really intend to for that matter. But it was still pretty interesting to watch. I don't know those men (and yeah they were all white men), but I have to suppress my skepticism enough to say that I think it is wrong to judge powerful people just because of their power. I would like to think that when they talked about wanting to do the right thing in their position simply because it is right (rather than good for business), that I can believe them since they were not talking to the public but among fellow bigwigs.

Anyway, other than that I have been really really tired and prone to more migraines in the last week than I can remember in the last year. I don't know what the deal is. But don't worry. I am trying to get more sleep, etc etc. And I am overall very happy. I told Christine Craig on Sunday that never before have I felt so much peace and expectation about a stage of life that I was entering into (meaning my Sojourners year) and I didn't realize until I said it out loud how true that really is. It is really, really nice to talk to older, wiser people who by sheer virtue of more years on this planet have learned from more mistakes than you. Christine is one of them, my cousin Carrie is one of them, my boss John is one of them. And the list goes on.

I am not sure whether to count my beloved Class of 2002 (or 2003) friends among those older and wiser yet. Although I feel like they are friends that have a ton to offer me, they have never felt closer to my age/stage in life than they do now. I knew it would probably be that way. Unfortunately, there are some startling (and sad) parallels in several friends experiences with some of my own. We are all sort of vulnerable together to all the change going on. And that means that I have less opinionated advice than I ever did for them. I don't know what to say other than 'Wow I know just how you feel. I really feel for you'. I don't know how long it will be before we actually feel established enough in real jobs and relationships to offer real, confident advice to one another. It's alright though. That's not why I care about those people so much. I mostly just look forward to sharing this time with them.

Well, speaking of headaches....it's bedtime for me. My first night in my fantastic non-twin bed in my old, newly matured adolescent bedroom. Yay. :)

No comments: