Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Whew.

It has been an exhausting few days. Yesterday my second day at the photo internship kept being exciting as I pretty chased John (very tall man. always in a hurry. always late) through Arlington for over a mile with his equipment, got to meet two of his photographer friends over lunch (one of which was the White House photographer for Clinton!!) and got both their cards, and helped him shoot these two researchers at the Library of Congress studying what makes cds age and go bad. Sounds pretty boring for them, but it was actually really cool. Very high tech. His pictures look so sci fi. He really is a talented guy. These pics will appear somewhere in an upcoming Rolling Stone. Before anyone thinks that makes me look cool in any way, I have to note once again that by helping him I mean lugging his stuff and handing him lenses. But still!! You know?

So that was fun, but around the time that shoot started until about 10 am this morning I was trying to get rid of a killer migraine so that part was pretty awful. If any of you know me at all, I am a big wimp when it comes to pain and migraines are no joke because they are not just pain but my great enemy; nausea. I hate feeling sick, and I had to really push to do what I needed to do once that hit me. Bummer, but thank God for Excedrin.

Then today I was up in the Philly area for only about an hour moving all my stuff out of the apartment with my dad. It was fun talking to him all day and riding in a big ol' Budget truck. I did not get to drive sadly, but it was pretty gross because all the cicadas kept SMACKING right into the windshield. ew. ew. I love talking to my Dad. I realized (and told him so) that although I do not want to marry someone just like my dad, I really really want someone who can hold a conversation the way he can; someone who is confident and open enough to talk about anything big or small. I just love that he is not afraid to give his opinion, it is always respectful, honest, and really pretty well-informed. So that was wonderful. And then as soon as we got home we painted a wall of my room and called it a day.

Are you all bored yet? Are these entries worth reading?

I'll change the tone a bit for you less event-oriented, in-depth folks.

I am feeling like I need to set my schedule this Summer so that I can make sure there is consistent time to myself and for quiet. That is something I realized I need more than ever in Puerto Rico. I need it in order to be the kind of person I want to be. When I have it, I am less irritable, I think before I speak, and I am just generally more positive. But my schedule isnt set, so for now I am a little run ragged with stuff, but it still feels like a good tired. I feel like God is teaching me so much joy in the smaller things. And He is helping me to really think about things as I feel them. Know what I mean? Because I am definitely someone whose feelings overwhelms them and therefore often I am ruled by my reactions rather than consideration, prayer or patience of any kind. It is hard for me to wait situations out. My sister coming home will be a good test of my supposed improvements in that area.

(By the way thanks for prayers. Her flight home from China is all worked out and she'll still be home in less than a month. Thank you, Lord. I almost can't remember the last time I missed someone so much.)

Anyway, I also just got an email from the intern coordinator at Sojourners who had sent us all these questions to answer about ourselves. Get to know you things. I love those. The responses were in her email and WOW guys, these other people sound absolutely wonderful. I really can't wait to do this. I am knowing more and more in my heart that this opportunity was the one to take. Yet when I think about that, it IS bittersweet because I really feel heavy hearted for dear friends who are not sure what is ahead and are struggling with that. They certainly don't ruin how happy I am for me, but I don't think I will be really at peace until I see things start coming through for them because I love them. I really want to get better at praying for my friends and at keeping in touch. It has never been easier than with cells and email so hold me accountable, people. But for now, I am yawning all over the place and am going to sleep.

Later.

No comments: