Thursday, April 28, 2005

Whew. Do you ever have a moment out of NOWHERE where you get really really insecure about yourself and your friendships? Just for a moment. Like walking down the street on a hot sunny day and being hit by a couple startling drops of cold cold water. That's my best description for it. I am just fine, but I don't know. Every now and then I just freak out a little bit thinking that all my friends here will be long distance next year and I will be starting AGAIN brand new with only Liam in the same area. Well, then again, 'only' Liam is a pretty big 'only'. :)

I write about this all the time but I think I just want to know what is going to last in my life and you can't know that. You can only keep walking down the sunny street. If that analogy makes no sense to you, don't worry because I just sort of write whatever comes to me and often times I don't think it really makes sense to anyone.

SO two days ago after that week from Hades, I got a great opportunity. I got to drive up to Princeton Seminary/University for two of Jim Wallis' events, one of which was him and Cornel West (!!). I really appreciated being able to see with my own eyes the work that we are doing. It felt so good to see people at the events as more than just a long list of email addresses but as almost a thousand people inspired by what Jim is calling a new movement for a politics of hope and a social justice fueled by spiritual renewal. My prayer is that the people who were moved by his book and his words would find an outlet to do something. That is the worst; when you have a fire inside you and you don't know where to take it in terms of action. Anyway, Jim also kept pointing me out as an incoming student at the seminary and so of course,a bunch of these people being future PASTORS, they rushed me with offers of prayer and friendship. A very nice welcome indeed. I am so anxious to go there.

Yet so anxious to keep growing my roots here too. DC is extraordinary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jess, your day up at Princeton sounded great! And I especially liked that JW pointed you out during his talk. You are SO worth pointing out!

Also wanted to note (in case your housemates didn't catch it) that Jon Stewart used the Sojo refrain in a recent show --
"God is not a Republican." It was in the context of these mega-church rallies where God becomes a political tool for the ultra-conservative. Jon couldn't resist making fun, as he is wont to do...

Can't wait to host you and your friends tonight!

Anonymous said...

stumbled on your blog using technorati...

it would be interesting to hear more about the wallis/west event.

-anon from l.a.