Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Tonight I rode metro home from DC for the last time for a while. I already feel like I don't live there anymore. I had this wonderful 'last' dinner with Lindsay at this restaurant that we have been perplexed by all year; this hole in the wall Italian place called Pasta Mia with a perpetual line of people outside...like literally a line of a dozen people every night of the week. We decided to go to an early dinner and take advantage of the lack of line, and it was beautiful. And even more beautiful, as we were leaving the dozen+ people were there. We were very smug about that. :) Anyway, the train.

I was listening to my music and standing rather than sitting so I could look around at people on the train (one of my favorite city things to do). I take a mental picture of all of them in my head. Perhaps that is creepy but I just find it fun. People watching is one of my all time favorite things. I kind of think there is nothing better than being out in public and by oneself. I don't have to interact necessarily but I am not all alone. As I looked around I saw a couple interesting folks. A rastafarian-ish girl on the way to the airport with 3 big luggage items. A punk kid with a funky belt and a shirt that said 'Cheap Sex' that looked Middle Eastern. An older Filipino man trying to chat it up with a younger woman. An older black lady with an Entemann's cake from Magruders where she worked because she still had her shirt on. Etcetc. Everyone was quiet and kind of sad. I don't know why I like Metro so much come to think of it because it is always like that. It's amazing how quiet so many people can be all shoved into one place. Kind of surreal. But for some reason it feels really enjoyable and familiar to me and I will miss it.

Maybe this year I will follow through with my idea of taking the train up to NYC or down to Philly once in a while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it pretty much covers **t-shirt** related stuff.