Sunday, October 02, 2005

Two amazing churches I have been to recently:

a) Woodland Pres in West Philly co-pastored by the beautiful and creative couple Scott and Fairlight Collins-Jones. I felt very welcomed there and very intrigued because they really know how to mix things up. Worship was this great experience of hymn--praise song---hymn. In the center of the alter was the cross (love that) and on either side was a huge pipe organ and then a blue screen for songs not found ina hymn book. The sermon did not talk down to people. It was very intelligent and well-planned and Scott was passionate. Fairlight preached this week, but I didn't go. I like the way they really are both leaders there. The neighborhood is one that I already knew I loved in the city. And one of the best things is that it was just so diverse. As Liam put it, it really does look like West Philly with college students, old people, black people, white people, international people, mentally ill people...everything. And despite such an odd crew, their coffee hour was packed and LOUD. People really like each other. They just finished throwing a big block party that past weekend and they really try to befriend, not just serve soup to their immediate community. It was just a great model for me. If I was a church leader, that is just the community I'd want.

b) The United Methodist Church at New Brunswick: pastored by Rev. Dr. Sydney Sadio from an island in the West Indies. He got his degree at Princeton too. This church was recommended by my field ed advisor when I told him what I want:
-no denomination in particular but open to varying styles of worship
-racially and ethnically and economically diverse, like for real. No handful of black people. I learned from Eastern that that scenario does not diversity make.
-in an urban or metropolitan and away from the beautiful little town of Princeton. that is not something imperative for all pastors. It is just something I really like.
-a social church with people who don't run out as soon as its over and also involved with the outside world/social justice etc.

Anyway this church was all that and more. Today was World Communion Sunday and never has it felt more real to me. Around the balcony in the sanctuary were like 30 flags (no exaggeration) representing where church members are from; Trinidad, Haiti, Ghana, Germany, Canada, Belize, etc. And people were so welcoming of me. I immediately was plugged into their young adult group and choir as possibilites for more involvement. The pastor's sermon gave like a dozen different ways that we interpret communion (and get divided on our understanding of it), but in the end, every human being knows what it is top have a dysfunctional family and still sit down to a meal with people who care about you and give thanks. Sounds not that profound but to look around and see people in native dress and kids carrying bread handmade from all the different countries down to the communion table, I almost began crying. And the way they did communion was new to me. We went down in rows to kneel at the alter. As people sang a number of hymns, each group got the bread and wine handed to them by the pastor with an individual and a group assurance of pardon with special notes like charges to be like Jesus in accepting and loving those outside our realm of comfort. Again: a church I could call home and learn a lot from.

The rest of my day was spent in my butterfuly chair reading out on the quad. Some little boys with toy guns tried to ambush me and Liam and Francey but we took care of them. hahaha. the toy gun thing bugs me but they enjoyed the attention while it lasted. Yesterday my parents visited and nothing brings me more joy than showing old/best friends my new environment. So these are all things that make me thankful today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good, helpful page. Keep on going.

Best wishes

Adam H.

master of pain said...

dude the coffee at halo pub is heavenly though

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog about wholesale and distribution. I also have a Blog/Website about wholesale and distribution which is why I enjoyed this blog so much. Keep up the excellent work! Check out my site if you have a moment.