Oh my God
1 suicide attempt
a 15 year old couple waiting to deliver their baby and watching Scooby DOo while they wait
1 old man whose heart failed three times whose huge family has to decide about end-of-life decisions
1 ultra religious man estranged from his family and his church for having killed one of daughters in an accident
1 ex-drug addict who refused painkillers for a fractured hand and lacerated head
1 17 year old drunk driver who did not want to see his parents
1 45 year old in need of a heart, lung AND kidney transplant
and the worst
1 20 year old Gun shot victim who died on the operating table after 3 hours on it under a team of trauma doctors. He has two kids, one of whom was just born. I was in the room when the doctors told three family members.
These are some of the things I attended to today on my superlong shift. I guess we can never fully prepare for what we're getting ourselves into when it comes to death and illness and violence. I wish I had more to say about it. Something profound or remotely good enough. But I don't know if I did then with those people so I certainly don't now at 4:30 in the morning. Maybe it is enough that I came back to my on-call room for the first time all night and cried my eyes out. Probably not.
Anyway, this gives you an idea. Encouragement from my ER nurse Aunt Louie came at just the right time. She knows how this goes. It is just so heart-wrenching. I would say after tonight that my job pretty much is just to accompany patients and loved ones in total helplessness.
And even still with all this terrible out of control shit, I still really know I belong here. Who'd have thought it?
6 comments:
Wow, Jess, what an emotional night you had! I'm in awe of you after reading this post. You absolutely amaze me! Don't ever forget that your presence by someone's side during difficult times -- companionship, a comforting shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold, and the gift of praying together -- means more than you can imagine. But just take care of yourself too! Always remember that your Mom and Dad and sister (and your comfy home in MD!) are here for you. I love you and am so VERY proud of you!
What an unbelievable day! And Sary told me that you volunteered for this overnighter as a favor to a co-worker. Will you have another overnighter later this week? Well, Jess I am just incredibly impressed and proud. But I'm also totally confident that if there ever was a Doerrer who could do what you're doing - it's you. I'm sure your good heart and sensitivity will help you through this learning phase but don't let it overwhelm you. And if you need to talk about it or about something not 'it' just to get 'it' off your mind, always know that we're here for you. Call anytime. Really. Love u so!
oh wow lover, that is unbelievable night. I love you so much and you make me so very very proud. my love and my prayers go out to you. when you wake up today call me. I love love love you. you are so strong and sweet and wise, I know you will be amazing this summer.
I admire you, Jess, for your willingness to take on this hospital ministry. Serving others, comforting them in time of greatest need, offering a word of encouragement and/or prayer, is what makes working all kind of those crazy hours worthwhile. You can make a difference! God bless you and strengthen you. Much love and biggest hugs!
Sorry to be so late in getting here, Jess, but Mom just gave me your email blog site.
I am so proud of you, honey, and the work you are doing this summer. It is unbelievable all the cases you were involved with and it only makes me realize what a gift you have. You must have been a tremendous help to these people. Yes, I know how a shoulder can help, praying together can help, and a loving soul always helps when a person is in deep pain and hurting. Keep that pretty smile on your face and those comforting words that only you can give.
I am always here for you if you ever need me. Blessings and love, Grandma
dear... i can't even imagine what you are going through with CPE right now but in a few weeks, when i am in the philadelphia area, i hope to spend some time with you (off time of course) and just talk it out. if you need someone to just pour it out too - let me know. i'd love to listen.
i love you dear. and thank you for your special ministry of being with people when they are at their worst.
Post a Comment