Three really lovely things:
1. Seeing Kim Copeland after far too long.
2. Being home and relaxing nonstop with my amazing family.
3. Walking on a cool wet night with Liam and laughing after Chinese and being grossly fantastically cute together.
Oh, and one more. My friend Jen is engaged. WOW. Lives are changing all around.
One sort of cool thing is that my church (www.woodlandpres.com) had an interfaith anti-war forum tonight but my problem with those is that even though some of the stories are so very very moving, they still dont do anything but get me fired up. I need ideas. I need people to tell me what I can do at times. It sucks not being able to help or fix all the problems in the world. But I think strangely that I was the most affected by this one woman on the panel. Her presentation was just reading a bunch of emails sent between her and her fiancee who chose to join the military and go to war in Iraq leaving her alone with two young boys to take care of. She was angry and indignant and broken hearted and begging him not to get himself killed. She was teary the whole time and just so broken. And I feel for the Iraqis and the soldiers and everyone, but here she is. Right there. And I think to myself: what am I doing for her? This woman in my neighborhood who I see each Sunday and whose life I had NO idea was so damn hard?
I think Christians need to learn the art of asking for help just as much as consider giving it more often. I think we suck at asking for what we need. I had this great time of conflict resolution today in CPE and I just realized that conflict is hard for me personally because I do not know how to ask for it. And I don't think alot of people do. We don't want to face up to our own insufficiency. We still can't accept our weakness at our core, even after some of us have 'given our lives to Jesus'. Hmmmmm....it just keeps coming back to pride. At least for me.
Well in the spirit of asking for it, my on call this week at HUP is tomorrow (Wed) overnight and will be needing a few extra prayers. Thanks friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment