Church is a lot of things. A lot of great things. But it is also a lot of friendly people working out a lot of details on committees. Especially in the Presbyterian Church. I had my first meeting with the session members of the church I am working at this Summer here in Maryland, and it went very well. I got to sit in on a meeting, and it really is an incredibly hospitable, welcoming, diverse church. But it will be different, much different from last Summer at the hospital. Instead of overnights there will be these meetings, and instead of verbatims, there will be ten minute conversations about nametags. Different from PTS too. You get used to deep conversations about theology and debates around politics and a woman chimed in before the meeting tonight with a joke from a Joel Osteen sermon.
I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. It is just a change of pace. This church is an everyday church and will truly show me if church is where I am meant to be. And it is normal, but it is far from average. They have a ton of immgrants, as many non-white people as PG County, a food pantry open every weekday, etc. They will care for me and take me in, and I know that so I am thankful. But there is definitely a part of me that is scared of getting bored and lonely here this Summer.
I am meeting with Dottie, my supervisor, tomorrow to talk more and flesh out what my summer will really look like and I think I need that. And besides, where I am in life, in need of discernment and peace, maybe being bored and/or lonely wouldn't be the worst thing for me. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment