I went to my first spiritual direction appointment yesterday, and I am really excited about it because we are going to use my photography in my appointments and reflections. For instance, yesterday when my director asked when was the last time I felt a closeness with God. I told her a couple Sundays ago, I slept in and woke up feeling sluggish and restless. But it was such a beautiful day that instead of diving into my pile of homework right away, I decided to take a walk down by the canal with my camera. No music. No running. Just slow walking and noticing the details and capturing them on film: something I love to do and have missed for a while now.
She asked me which picture meant the most to me. I told her the picture above. The leaf that looks so much like an outstretched hand, holding just the tiniest bit of water. My director had me focus on that image and sit with it for a few minutes of silence. What I got from that is that I want to cultivate that posture in my heart and spirit, especially this year, when there is so much being offered to me. So much to receive. And if I am mindful of that, I am certain I will have a lot more to give.
1 comment:
hey I just read this. wow. ok first of all your pics are amazing (i was checking them out on facebook)..i didn't know you were such a great photographer...second of all, how did you find a spiritual advisor? that sounds amazing!
i always thought you were really cool. quality.
~shannon weber.
Post a Comment