
I went to a wedding this weekend and had a decent time. Laughed, ate good food, saw a couple old friends, the bride and groom played air guitar during their first dance. All in all, decent.
I am so happy for my friends. I am. For their MARRIAGES.
BUT
after the fourth of four weddings this month, I realized an important fact about myself. I really do not like weddings. The older I get, the more I just feel like its extravagant and way-too-formal for most people and every single girl wears the same exact strapless gown....you know??? Anyone?
Again,a I-swear-this-is-not-some-bitter-gal-post disclaimer: I am so happy for couples who are truly in love, and my heart warms to watch them together doing their thing. But man, the whole ceremony part. It just feels a bit like show or fluff, and it does not at all represent the years ahead of the everyday...of doing laundry and taking kids to sports games and carving pumpkins and having people over to play cards.
Will I feel differently when I am engaged one day? Maybe. I am girly enough to enjoy the whole pretty dress thing. But I don't want to look like a damn princess bride, that's for sure :). Not my thing.
I am someone who knows how hard it is to even get to a wedding. It didn't happen after four year-plus relationships. And so I feel pretty grounded in reality now, and reality has proven to be ok. So a wedding in my mind needs to not be some fairy tale fantasy. What should it be instead?
Well there's a plus of being single right there. I don't have to think about that yet :)
No comments:
Post a Comment