Sunday, April 06, 2008

movement....

little things are changing in me, even just in the last year/semester

my taste in music is expanding
(to whatever makes me feel good)
my taste in clothes is maturing
(into work-friendly/welcoming my mid-twenties-friendly)
my taste in close friends is narrowing
(to people who I really respect, who really make me laugh, who seem to 'get' me)
my taste in men is.....changing
(where can i begin???)
my body is getting tighter and stronger again FINALLY and I can feel the difference
(I ran three miles today at a pretty fast pace without walking or stopping and I feel fantastic)

and one thing that my pastor noticed when she came up to visit the campus last week was that I always go around calling myself a HUGE extrovert, but she says she suspects I am actually a closet introvert. I get such a kick out of meeting great new people and sometimes socializing feels like the best thing I can do. Today having the company of Abbie for my sermon, brunch and shopping made the whole day better.
BUT
I have noticed that (pangs of loneliness notwithstanding) I do crave alone time more than I ever used to. I love the feeling of listening to my music and doing what I want with my space. I love the feeling of being unwatched, unscrutinized, unbound by the eyes of other people. Moments where my own opinion and enjoyment are all that matter are moments I treasure now. That's probably a good sign.

Does that make someone an introvert? Don't know. But it's interesting to watch yourself change and wonder what else will be touched by that change.

2 comments:

Khristi Lauren said...

OMG I JUST FOUND OUT I WAS AN INTROVERT LAST WEEK IN CLASS!!!! I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT IT ALL WEEKEND. "HOW COULD THIS BE?" YADA YADA YADA. BUT I'M STARTING TO REALIZE THAT I MIGHT BE ONE...HMMM.

Anonymous said...

Jess and Khristi,
I totally recommend you read the book The Introvert Advantage, or just browse through it one day at a Barnes & Noble. It opened my eyes to the fact that being an introvert is not about being shy; that is totally different. It is about what recharges your batteries and what tends to require you to go into energy conservation mode. Also it's a spectrum; neither of you strike me as strong introverts but you may fall more on that side of the spectrum than you previously thought. :)

Sarah