Tuesday, September 07, 2010

simple pleasures

I visited a woman in the hospital yesterday who had severe cirrohis of the liver because of a lifetime of self-admitted alcoholism. She seemed a little out of it (and frankly drunk) talking to me too, but I had to suspend judgment when she said she wanted to go home from the hospital (this is not new, everyone wants that but here's why)

to walk in the grass, to sit on my couch and to build a snowman.

And then she giggled and I smiled. And I have been taking note of the simple pleasures of this new place I am in more since then. Like right now, the morning is very dreary and we have no overhead light in our living room so it is rather dark and I am tired. BUT

I am eating a toasted bagel with Nutella, sipping hot coffee, looking out my front door at a silvery horizon over the Green Mountains in Vermont across the lake. Last night, Jason and I made butternut squash soup with cheesy bread and watched TV together until we fell asleep. Simple pleasures I think are the better pleasures.

No comments: