Sunday, December 14, 2003

These last few days were an amazing start to my break. Truly. Sincerely :). It was all Goldbeck family (my mom's side) all the time. Saturday afternoon I went to our family's annual girls' luncheon. Every girl in the family age 13 and up is invited to come. The pictures were plentiful and the restaurant was definitely disturbed by our clan. Every one of them wanted to know how I was and had all kinds of encouraging things to say--especially about men . And you know what? No offense to my wonderful friends, but I believe these 40-50 year old women pulling in marriages of decades that are still going strong. I really believe some of the things they say about how life ends up working out humorously and just right.

After that lunch, Sarah and I took those two preteen cousins out shopping at the thrift store in Bethesda where Sarah works. Very hip. At first maybe a little too hip, but the girls found some fun stuff and they were just thrilled to be taken out like that. It felt weird to seem old to them. I am so used to feeling younger with everyone. Then today our whole family, since we are so large got together since everyone was in town and had our family Christmas out in VA. 40 people or something gathered in one house. Kids were crawling all over me, and goodness they are growing up so fast! Got to see all the men in the family. It was terrific. My grandma and I went to her condo afterwards to watch the Survivor finale. People like her who have lived through so much and raised our own parents amaze me.

anyway yeah, so not much else to report. I know my family stuff isnt that interesting to friends because you dont know any of these people, but that is just what is on my heart. When I feel close to the giant network that is my family, I feel a lot stronger. I have made plans with some of them, and I am glad because I am lucky to have them. They ought to be more of a priority. And I know we all feel good when our priorities are straight.

In other tidbits before I go:
* I am tearing through the novel I started reading. It is really good. Very psychological and about these identical twins.
* I want to exercise during this break. It is such a great way to get my energy out.
* People mix up me and my sis a lot lately. I don't know whether that bothers me or not. It probably shouldnt. She is gorgeous and interesting and all that. But its still kinda weird because we go through phases.
* I am pumped about the parties this weekend and I hope that it isnt just Christmas that people have the initiative to throw these things together.

God bless. I'm out.

No comments: