Happy New Year!
This break has been really good, in the sense that it wasn't all fun, sometimes it got complicated or awkward, but it was good because I can feel myself growing up and learning to deal with those times better (i.e. without getting all freaked out). My other best high school friend Katie got married yesterday night to a boy who absolutely 100% adores her. So right now I feel like I am at peace with happiness for them and so honored to have been standing with her on the alter when they made that committment to a shared life.
I have been to 6 weddings in 2005. And now they are over. I feel slightly relieved. It makes me think about marriage a lot obviously. So huge. I always wonder when you know when you're ready for it. And then Dr. Cary, my old philosophy prof's answer rings in my head. "You're never ready." That seems like such true wisdom. I think about Katie and Pat and I can remember them at 14 and 15 like it was yesterday making out during You've Got Mail and feeling funny about their first kisses. I can remember when Nikki dated 3 guys at a time and now she is married as well. I know my dad says he still is not mature enough to be married and my mom laughs. So...I guess the truth of it is, none of us are ready for such a profound gift like marriage or babies or a vocation, but we just do it anyway. Yet it also makes me realize that the next few years could be my last as a single girl, student, still able to come home and live with my parents. ANd rather than pining away for the future my friends have, it also seems like good wisdom to just enjoy the present.
I hope your new year starts off right, friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment