Life has had its ups and downs lately.
I had my first fight with one of my closest Princeton friends. We are okay now, but it took a lot out of both of us. We realized how much we have been leaning hard on the friendship, maybe even expecting too much at times.
My slave-wages training finally ended at the restaurant and I started making tip money; the jury is still out on whether it will be worth the crazy hours. Aside from a tyrannical, controlling and negative manager, I really like working there. My fellow co-workers are hospitable, friendly and good at their jobs. The customers are classy, charming and keep me on my toes. I am pretty good at it, and waiting tables is one of those experiences that so many people I know have had that I think it is really good for me. It can only help me in my career where I deal with difficult people under often-strained circumstances.
I am almost done sealing the deal on an incredible one-bedroom, never-before-lived-in, loft-style apartment in Trenton in the same building as a wonderful friend. It was not an easy process or an easy decision without its conflict. I can't get into all that here, but I have mixed feelings about it just because I know it will be the first time I really REALLY live on my own, paying my own rent in a place of my own that I have chosen, that I decorate, that I make into a home somehow.
And last but not least, I am dating someone new. His name is Jason. He lives about an hour away in Morristown, he works at an outdoor store, studies art, cooks amazing meals for me, goes to Six Flags with me, took me camping for the first time in years and makes me feel like a teenager again; passionate and wildly optimistic. We have only been seeing each other for a month or so, but I get a feeling that he will be around for a while. I did not hate being single by any means. Yet I am remembering how a new relationship with a person who is stable, giving, thoughtful and fun seems to color all the other dimensions of my life. This transitional time does seem to feel a little less scary with the prospect of a companion whom I genuinely enjoy. I can't wait to see what's next.
In other tiny tidbits,
This is kind of insane too me. Is it going too far? Am I just not sophisticated enough? Is it really art? Do we need to redefine art in a world that is becoming so hyper-technical and voyeueristic? What do you think people?
this is insane.
Also, R.I.P. Tim Russert. Wow. What a total tragedy. Only fifty-eight years old, and one of the most talented interviewers out there. I loved watching "Meet the Press" when I could because he was the same tough journalist with everyone, he demanded the truth from everyone and no one who spoke with him got away with anything less. And right before the elections. It is just really sobering.
And speaking of elections, GO GO GO GO GO OBAMA!!! What a time to live in America. Just like I already said in this post, I can't wait to see what's next.
1 comment:
Hooray for you and Jason. I thank God every time I reflect on the past three years of my life for people like you; I'm happy to hear that some of that happiness is coming back your way.
"Serious lapse in taste" and the symbolism of "the worst of art -- shock without substance -- and of academia, with professors encouraging useless introspection" seem most accurate to me what with Aliza Shvarts and all. Art students, yeesh!
Post a Comment