I, the queen of doing everything with headphones in, have recently given into the inclination to unplug. My drive to work today was quiet. My run yesterday and today was quiet. All I listened to was my own breathing. Which is good when I run because you'd be amazed how easy it is to just forget to breathe!
Today was such a pleasant day. I got to start it on an early morning walk and breakfast with my mom, aka one of my favorite people in the whole universe. And Dottie is a dream supervisor. She is flexible, empathetic, just liberal enough for me to love her but just moderate enough to relate to anyone. I love watching her interact with the immigrant families in our church. It is inspiring just to witness her sincerity and learn from it in everyday situations. How she draws people out despite what might be considered challenging circumstances or cultural barriers.
I got to visit with a family from Cameroon today. The daughter just had a baby who is the fattest cutest baby ever. Big watchful eyes, many many rolls and very cuddly. Makes me happy and gives me just enough fix of baby. I may not want to be a mom anytime soon, but I love my fixes. And their family was just so open and hospitable. I tried this dish called ching-ching. Almost like funnel cake but less sweet. I continually marvel at what it must be like to come to this country and have everything be new. We take so much for granted and not all of it is good. For this family, it was perfectly natural for their pastor and a strange girl to just drop in on their house on a Wednesday at 3:00. And something about that seems really right. Like a great example.
I can tell this church is going to make a real difference to me.
1 comment:
The hope and anticipation in your words, Jess, really lifts me up! I hope you know just how much you affect people simply by being wonderful, beautiful you...
Post a Comment