Thursday, December 04, 2003

I had a meeting today with David Black and David Fraser. Two results:
a) I respect them a lot more. They see the problem of Eastern losing some of its edge and homogenizing. There are less people who care and those who do live off campus so they do not contribute very much to the campus culture. Example? An RA and Chaplain got fired for going out with friends from their hall and splitting a couple bottles of wine. No one was drunk. But everyone who went got disciplinary probation and an apology for being 'led astray'. Please give me a break! I love Eastern with all my heart or stuff like this would not bother me as much. I just feel that our priorities are way out of whack right now there because Eastern is hurting for cash. But it is a complicated situation and I want to keep trying to see all the good things about my school. I would not be who I am right now without it. Guaranteed. But then, a lot of that has to do with the friends I met; types of people they really arenot attracting or recruiting anymore. I wonder sometimes what kinds of Christians Eastern is looking for is all...
b)They agreed to give Sherrie a Windows scheduled for February 6th. She is so pleased with this opportunity. That was a pleasant surprise. I feel for Sherrie so much, not even with having to leave Eastern, but just the thought of her loneliness and all she has had to got through with her family and everything just breaks my heart. No one should have to walk around who has that much to give and that much insight and feel like they aren't worth anything. No one.

Also, Gerri continues to challenge me. It really does help to start to get to know your counselor I am finding. She feels much more free to jump right in there and tell me what about my thinking she would like to challenge. I know I have a lot to learn yet. The main thing I talk about is still my most recent relationship and all kinds of thoughts, feelings, etc. surrounding that. At the very least, I am realizing Ed is not the only one with issues to figure out. Forgiveness of others definitely comes out of self-knowledge I think.

I am beginning to experience the kinds of moments around the house that I have been hoping to have. It pays to be around more. For the comforting hug after another paper gets eaten by my computer and the trip to Karaoke night at Gulliftys with the ted/Adam W. crew and the eating of beans and watching of Behind the Scenes with leonardo dicaprio (a prize from Halloween) . All kinds of cute, special little things like that that I think, built up are what make living with friends a great time. I hope to have more of that next semester. It seems like the more comfortable you are laughing and having fun with certain people, the more comfortable you'll be really sharing your heart with them as well. You just have to be patient enough for both those kinds of times, I guess.

I read something very good two days ago. JOY=BEING THANKFUL AS AN INTENTIONAL DECISION.
I don't know if I can do that every minute, but I'll tell you what, I think that when the end of the day comes and I stretch out in my wonderful new soft double bed and take a few breaths, that decision isn't as hard we make it out to be.

"God is graciously present in, with, and under all the particulars of His creation, with which God is in a relationship of reciprocity. The immanent and transcendent God of Israel is immersed in the space and time of this world; this God is available to all, is effective along with them at every occasion, and moves with them into an uncertain future. Such a perspective reveals a divine vulnerability, as God takes on all the risks that relatedness entails."
(H. Paul Santmire)

No comments: